Sladesnews
Gr: I think it's time we install some "intelligentsia" type thinking into this blog......you know, like Tommy does--so our brains don't shrivel with nonsense. (Taylor-rap, etc.)
Have you ever heard of the Divine Proportion or Golden Ratio? (article in the Smithsonion magazine alerted me to it)
It's a special bit of geometry (Sam probably knows all about it) and is a line that is divided into 2 unequal lengths, and the ratio of the longer segment to the shorter segment is the same as the ratio of the whole line to the longer segment. Expressed as a number, the ratio is 1.618. Philosophers and scientists say it embodies a harmony found in nature and in art. In a nautilus shell, the ratio of the first spiral to the next is 1.618. In the Mona Lisa painting the relationship between her right shoulder and cheek and left shoulder and cheek is a triangle whose shortest sides are in DIVINE PROPORTION to its base. Pyramids, Rembrandt's self portraits, Leonardo DaVinci's notebooks, the Double Helix, all contain evidences of the Divine Proportion or Golden Ratio.
Is that fascinating or what? Have you studied this in your art classes, Mel, Jen, Mackenzie, Tess, Jayne, etc? I've just never heard of it, and it opened a tiny piece of my brain to something new. For further study, see the book Math and the Mona Lisa: Art & Science of DaVinci by Atalay. Love, Gr
Perros April 18, 2016
10 years ago
22 comments:
I have at some time or another read about this, but not in detail. Fascinating so far. I shall delve into it deeper, as I bet it somehow exists eveywhere in music also. Music, being the main art that speaks to my soul...I shall find out. I am having lunch with my young amd entertaining brother, Tommy, tomorrow Ha
lloween morning. He and I shall discuss this now I am sure. I love you all.
Mom, how did you make those yellow words? I think that would expand my mind greatly if you could tell me.
Jen
Apparently only some of the girls in this family are regarded as artist. Hmmmph. (just kidding gramma!) I have also heard about this Divine Proportion, and it really doesn't surprise me. God is the Great Scientist, in my opinion.
Yeah, i read that in The Da Vinci Code, its amazing!
I also agree with Macman-that God is THE GREAT SCIENTIST-so it would only make sense that we would find this everywhere...
Oh my. I've known this for years! you forgot to say that the spirals on a snail shell are divinely portioned as well. ha. rap doesn't take away... it just doesn't add.
oh wait... you did say it. well, maybe that rap does take away.
My bad...
you lost me at intelligentsia...
- jake
intelligentsia - im learnin some spanish - when i saw it i thought -
een-tay-ee-hent-see-aah
- jake
Ummmm...everyone's loosin' me here. Hey, did you guys know that my husband is "The Divine Proportion"...hehe I think so anyway! Oh he'd be so mad if I said that for serious! Just kidding (not really) He is...well I just love him.
Wow, Jake. What a spanish speaker! Good pronunciation! At least on the page. Maybe we can practice when you come to Utah. But your mom speaks quite a bit too, huh.
Mom, I definitely need to investigate this more. I have heard of it, but didn't understand it. Not that I do now, but a little better after your oh, so intelligent explanation! I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall at the Sara/Tom lunch.
Where's Tommy? We need to get him going on this blog!
Auntie Jenne
lol jake you crack me up
Sara,
you said something about music and The Divine Proportion, and it is all very real. Mozart wrote his music within the rules of the divine proportion without even really recognizing it (hardy har because the DP wasnt even discovered until just a little while back). yes gramma, i do have a brain!
~camille
Well, I'm the dumb one, I'm not sure I've heard of this concept yet I do know about trangles and porportion in art. When a painting uses this concepts it is more pleasing to the eye and can draw the eye into the main focal point....
Jenne--It's probably best if you weren't a fly on the wall during one of mine and Tom's lunches! hehe! We get pretty far out there philosophising...that sometimes we get lost !
Gr: You guys are so knowledgeable--I wonder if we could ever think of something you don't already know about.
To Sara & Cami: Yes, we want to know more about the music connection. And how do you know that Mozart didn't recognize the Divine P.? And I think Leonardo did know he was using it in his art and inventions, etc.
To Mac: You're so spiritual and deep (as we can tell by the costumes).
To Taylor: Oh Brudder Bryan.
To Jake: Yes, we were trying to lose you.
To Mel: Thanks for the in-depth input from an artist's viewpoint.
To Jen: Not my intelligence...'twas the Smithsonian Magazine.
To do words in color, highlight the word, then click the "T" on the Blogger toolbar at the top (it has a little color chart by it) and the colors display. Click the one you want and wham-o, there it is. (These computers are so amazing)
P.S. from Gr: also you can do words in bold or italics, but I don't know how to underline.
Do you, Mac?
I think we have a new record for the number of comments here!
yup-new record indeed! A new "divine" record. : )
morgs you think everyone is always wrong
I love it when Mom uses words like "wham-o." What a hip Grandma.
i love everyone :)
Post a Comment