Saturday, February 16, 2008

Ukraine!!!

Hello family - I'm sure most of you have heard by now, but Lane and I today received a call to serve as mission presidents to Ukraine beginning July 1st this year. We are so excited to get back on a mission and to be able to take 3 of our children with us to share in the experience. We will be going into the MTC for Mission Pres. Seminar on June 22nd, and then we'll head out. We're not sure which mission yet, we'll find that out next week, hopefully.

We had a great exploratory interview with Elder L. Tom Perry at his office in S.L. 3 weeks ago, and were asked to keep it quiet until the official call came which was supposed to follow shortly. But then President Hinckley died 2 days later, and so we had to wait a little longer. It has been a little hard, with needing to get started selling the house, etc. But today we received a call (which we were told yesterday would be coming at 2 p.m.) from Pres. Ehrying (sp?) and had a wonderful chat with him (from his bed at home as he is recuperating from a broken foot). These are definitely sweet, wonderful, giant spirits that are at the helm of this church!

Anyway, we love you all and are so excited to begin this adventure. We're asking for prayers to be able to sell our house and 5 acres in Indianola to help us financially while we're gone and to have a cushion and money to buy a house when we get back (and don't think we're not excited to get out of this little house!).

Love, Jen

21 comments:

Just Jenne said...

I guess I better go check on that spelling of Pres. Eyrhing or Erhying, or something, so I can get it right!

Anonymous said...

That is something ELSE!!! How exciting! : )

Love Sara

Jayne said...

Eyring I think. That's my vote.

Aunt Jenne we all flipped out when we heard! We're at my Mom's this weekend and we're all talking about it all the time. We're so excited for you! You are wonderful examples to all of us.

Anonymous said...

Eyring.........

Jen and Lane, we are all so excited and looking forward to all the wonderful and informative emails (blogs?) you (and kids) will send during those three years. We got into Wikipedia and have been reading all about Ukraine. One thing that we read was that much of the art and records was confiscated during the Second World War. Sad. But Glenn Kimball said recently (I need to get that info to you, Jen) that much of the art and literature that was taken by Hitler is still in the salt manes in Germany! Maybe when you get settled in Kiev you can work on getting it back.
Second World War was devastating to Ukraine...millions killed, etc.

..also there are 500,000 Muslims in Ukraine, but Christianity is predominant. L.D.S. will really be major after you guys get through.

What about Kenz? Does she want to come and live with us? That's a long commute to BYU though. She should probably go there with you...she could be a missionary!
Much love, Gr/Gr

Anonymous said...

That is so exciting. but sad at the same time. no more Morgs or Jord or Slade. Aunt jenny or Uncle Lane. I hope its fun over there. I already miss you. I cant wait tell you come back.

Just Jenne said...

Yeah, Lane said Eyring, so I don't know where I got the "h"!
You are all so sweet! We have been learning about Ukraine also. We were so excited that they are sending us to the Ukraine, and not St. Petersburg, which is much more stark and cold than Ukraine. We will all miss you guys too, but we're sure we will be able to keep in contact soon.

Kenzie is staying, and we are praying that she will either find really neat roommates, or "a" roommate or something :) to take care of her. Her new "friend", Taylor Call Nelson, is flying her out to Roseville on the 28th to visit for the weekend (he just left to get shoulder surgery done). Melanie, she'll be at Tammy's ward that Sunday, so I hope you guys can see each other a bit.

Love you all! (sorry so long)

Just Jenne said...

I meant "often" not "soon."

Just Jenne said...

Oh, we are hoping you all decide to come visit us at one point or another, you know you can stay with us in the mission home, and Mom, did you know as Mission Pres, Lane could request a specific missionary couple?!!! I would love it if you two could come spend a year or something as missionaries. But I know that might not be possible with Dad's health, etc.

p.s. Just a reminder that we have the cabin from April 11th to 14th and we are inviting anyone from the SLADE family to come anytime during those days if you can. I know Paul and Kari are planning on it, so let's get everyone there!

Love, Jen

Bethanie said...

Does that mean that Jord could go on his mission when he's 18 instead of 19?? That happened to someone I knew, in a long, long ago, far away past, who got to go on his mission early because his parents were mission presidents. Anyway . . . . we're so excited for you! And today was a "farewell" at church for a young man heading out in 10 days to the MTC, then on to Kiev. That would be so cool if you're his mission president!

Just Jenne said...

We're about 90% sure it will be Kiev because that's where they send families, Lane has said. And it would be so great because they are building a temple there, and they also have a stake, which would mean a little less worry for Lane. And yes, Jordy is already planning to head out a year from June on his mission, and then we can all come home together (hopefully via Istanbul, Greece, maybe Rome:)!

Anonymous said...

Gr/Gr: I meant salt MINES, not
salt manes, duh. I guess the salt mines in Germany can be compared to the Granite Mountain Records Vault in Little Cottonwood Canyon southeast of Salt Lake, owned and maintained by our Church.

(change of subject)

It would be neat if Kenz could get Taylor to take her to visit Mac/Diana and Sara/Daniel.
They live close to each other.

Mac/Diana: 916-367-1364
145 1/2 Donner Ave.
Roseville
Daniel/Sara Medakovic: 916-316-1840
243 Folsom Road
Roseville

(maybe they could do lunch or something...just a thought)

Love, Gr/Gr

Anonymous said...

Gr/Gr to Aus: Sorry to tell you this, Aus, but they're not going for fun. But you know, three years will go by pretty fast.
Well, maybe, hopefully.

(subject change)
We're thinking we might drive up to the Steinagel cabin just for the day April 12 (Sat)...we could bring some food even.

Love, Gr/Gr

Anonymous said...

Gr/Gr:
p.s. Sara/Daniel have another phone no. also: 916-783-8505

(Beth, we need to do another Contact List. We? I mean you.
Love, Gr/Gr

molano said...

OK, exciting bloggers! I love how we spastically communicate in our fam! So cool! Hey we hope Kenz calls us here in Roseville...Taylor's mom teaches seminary. She is quite amazing and spends hours on her lessons. I wanted Jake in her class but it didn't work out. Kenz is welcome to stay at my apartment if she needs to . Mel

Anonymous said...

Hey Kenze...who's this "Taylor" character? (wink, wink)!! : ) Anyway, this is all too much! You guys have a lot of courage and faith. My husband knows a bit about the Ukraine and speaks some of the different languages a little... : )

FROM SARA

Anonymous said...

Gr/Gr to Sara: (explanation time)Do you remember Jen's friend, Shelly? (blonde) Those two were inseparable as teens. Shelly also goes by "Tony." Anyway, Shelly's sister, Tammy, is JoAnn's friend from high school years. Fantastic gals. Their family was in our ward in Roseville during early years there--parents are Jackie and Jim Call. (They are still in Roseville, Jackie isn't too well) Wonderful people. One of Tammy's sons is Taylor and when Taylor came to B.Y.U. he and Kenz met. They are just friends I'm sure. (wink)

To Austin: So neat to have you input. R U glad to have your parents back? Love, Gr/Gr

Anonymous said...

SARA SAYS:
Thanks for your time Gramma!! Yes, I know who Shelly is!! I remember her with Aunt Jenne when I was little and I saw her in my Mom's ward a while back. That's cute--how everyone's all tied together in such a way : )

Anonymous said...

for some reason I feel like I might visit a new country this year. hmm, wierd.

Anonymous said...

Gr/Gr: Who was that anonymous?
(seemed like Morgs)

Anonymous said...

yeah I'm pretty sure it was number 4 in the family...
Hey everyone! This is Kamenzie, I'm trying to figure out this blog thing and it's COMPLICATED! Gramma you are amazing for figuring this all out! I've created my own account but for some reason I can't figure out how to post on the main blog site for our family. HMM, weird.

Well I'm flying out to California tonight at 9, and I'm SO excited!!!!! Taylor has been gone for a week and a half and I miss him so much :(. I'll be staying with him and his family this weekend, and since he's still healing and our time will be short, we probably won't be able to visit anyone (I'm sad!), but (to all those in roseville) feel free to stop by his house or visit the ward on sunday!

Anonymous said...

yup it was me