Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy 1st Birthday Emmy Jayne!

Dig on in there kiddo!













Emmy really loved the singing, but wasn't quite sure what to do with the cake. She tasted it but wasn't too interested. We have another health nut in the family! (Thanks Hanna for the beautiful Valentine's cake!)

Emmy LOVES BLING! So she got her own red purse with some blingy necklaces to go in it. She figured out almost immediately how to put the necklaces on herself and toddled all over the house in her new bling bling:)

And last but not least, we had to throw this one in there: Yes. Believe it or not, Grandma is reading the ingredients on the GRAPES. With a magnifying glass!! Hahaha! We love her!!!

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a bunch of gorgeous girls!! Those pictures are great! And Grandma with the magnifying-glass is a CLASSIC!! Makes me want to be there soooo bad! Happy Valentine's day! Oh, and happy Birthday to Emmy!!

Just Jenne said...

"Hmmm, let's see. Grape flesh, and grape skins, water absorbed from the ground, chlorophyll from the sun, natural grape flavor, various vitamins and minerals. Yeah, ok, I guess they're alright to eat everyone."

Love you, Mom!

(You were probably just trying to see if the pesticides were listed I bet, huh?)

Just Jenne said...

Oh yeah--HAPPY BIRTHDAY EMMY!! Talk about gorgeous. And Happy Valentines to everyone else!

Bethanie said...

First of all, I have to say, the pony-tails are my favorite part of these pictures (look closely!), and second of all, Mom, what are the ingredients??

Today I successfully traded good candy for all the "bad" candy my kids brought home from school--yea! And without a fuss, too! So instead of red lollipops and purple Laffy Taffy, etc., they got Trader Joe's peanut butter cups, a Dagoba bar, and SunDrops (like m&ms)--all natural goodness. I'll have to do a longer update on the Feingold program . . . . But not now.

Happy Birthday Emmy Jayne! And happy V-day everyone!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EMMY! so cute! and Happy Valentines Day to everyone else!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Emmy! I wish I were there too! Waaaaaaaaa! Happy Valentines to my greatest loves, my family. Grandma was probably looking for sulfites which are sometimes found on fruit and dried fruit as a preservative. She's allergic to them. So am I.

Sladesnews said...

Gr/Gr: I tried to delete that picture from Jayne's camera but she was stronger than I. You're right, Mel, they had been treated with sulphites! Can you believe something so good for us has been tampered with like that?
It was a big day for Emmy, and we were fortunate to be able to share it with her....Happy Valentines and love to everyone!
Congrats, Beth, on your accomplishment, you are amazing.

Sladesnews said...

Gr/Gr:
Oh funny Jen....

Anonymous said...

what are sulphites?? I can't believe I haven't worried or looked up sulphites yet...

Anonymous said...

what are sulphites?? I can't believe I haven't worried or looked up sulphites yet...

Sladesnews said...

Gr/Gr: ...and oh yes, I must get even with Jayne sometime, but will wait until she has just had a perm two hours before and hasn't combed it yet, and I will then click the camera...lets see, that might be difficult. She doesn't perm, she uses a straightener. Now that is really wierd.

To Sara: ask your Mom about sulphites.
Bet your bacon she'll tell ya'.

Just Jenne said...

Yeah, I want the scoop on sulphates too. What are your reactions, Mom and Mel?

Just Jenne said...

I mean "sulphites"!

Bethanie said...

Sulphur is the British spelling of sulfur. So we here in good ol' America usually spell it thusly: sulfur, sulfate, sulfite, etc. Sulfites, in various forms, aren't eliminated in the Feingold Program, but they may be a possible problem for the chemically sensitive individual (sulfites are preservatives and can also be added to medications!). Now, sulfates, on the other hand and from what I can gather, are made by our bodies to eliminate the sulfur. Here's a quote from Why Can't My Child Behave by Jane Hersey: " . . . normally the body can change sulfur into sulfate and then excrete it. 'We think autistic children are unable to add oxygen to sulfur (to convert it into sulfate). In addition to antibiotics, many antipsychotic drugs contain sulfur, and this doesn't work with children with this problem. Sulfur is also found in foods, particularly cabbage, onion, garlic and egg yolk.'" The education continues . . . .

Anonymous said...

Wow, Auntie-Beth, you are like, such a P.H.D.-sounding proffessor-type mother!!!

Sladesnews said...

Gr/Gr: Thanks, Beth, you saved us a lot of looking-up time. I really appreciate your description of the difference between sulfites and sulfates, which I've never understood. Maybe Melanie and I both have the inability (in our bodies) to alter or take care of the sulfites. ???? (It was Melanie who first made me aware of that chest problem.)
From Whole Food Bible: "Allergic sensitivity to sulfites is common. Asthmatics in particular are susceptible to sulfites in foods, and can suffer attacks of wheezing, tightness in the chest, and difficulty breathing. A serious allergic reaction to sulfites in foods can render a person unconscious."
(I think sulfites and sulphur dioxide are the same....is this correct, Beth?)
"The chemical compound, sulphur dioxide, can cause serious allergic reactions. In some rare cases has lead to anaphylaxis (respiratory failure). In addition to its allergenic properties, sulfur dioxide destroys B vitamins in the body, can cause kidney malfunction, and is a suspected mutagen (a substance that causes genetic mutations or abnormalities). As of 1987, federal law requires a warning label on all food products containing sulfur dioxide."
All I know is if I eat a sulfite-treated apricot (bright orange and pretty) I start coughing. Usually one or two small pieces of bacon don't present a problem. Guess that's why I've never been able to eliminate bacon entirely from my diet, and why I like to dry my own apricots. But you can buy the un-sulphured fruit in health stores.

Yes, Sara, Beth is in the process of obtaining a self-taught Ph.D--it's amazing what we will do for our children.

Anonymous said...

Wow--sounds rough! I didn't inherite that allergy luckily...I did however, inherite many exciting maladies through my father's genetics to keep me humble!!

Anonymous said...

Oops!! Spelling error on "INHERIT." It does not have an "e" at the end. I guess I did inherit bad spelling! Har de Har Har....

It's Taylor, folks! said...

And you inherited "har de har har!" That is only found one place in the world, and that is on this blog. I mean, who says that for real? Grandma, that's who!

Camille said...

come on tay, har de har is the new izzle

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA!! Taylor, and all you cousins that I NEVER GET TO SEE...you guys CRACK ME UP!!!

Hey Tay: I am copying you, 'ya know. I have already enrolled, payed for and have been studying to be a Pharmacy tech...and I'll be doing musical theatre on the side...odd contrast, eh? I just wanted to copy you.... : )

Anonymous said...

I mean, "paid for" not "payed for"....See!!!??? I didn't used to have spelling issues but now I do!!!! AAAAArrggg!!

Sladesnews said...

Posting comments is fun!
Yup that's all I want to say...

Oh Yeah!and Emmy looks soooo cute...
aa-aand if she isnt interested in the cake I'll have it!

Oh and almost forgot...Happy B-Day!

Sladesnews said...

gosh I'm forgetful

- this and last comment by jake

It's Taylor, folks! said...

pharmacy technicians, or as i like to call myself, pharmasizznizzle technisizzles, will take over the world!!!! Welcome aboard Sara!

Anonymous said...

Yes it's the breathing thing. I have self-diagnosed asthma anyway. When I eat sulfur dioxide, I get wheezy and cough. I have to watch out for fruits and also salsa's and other 'jarred' goods.

Anonymous said...

yeah, whatever Tay.