For those of you who didn't get this firsthand from my brother, I felt this was definitely worthy of the blog. So here it is, in Paul Slade's words.
All,
Last Monday, Coleman, Sydnie and I went on a tour of the old Park City Jail, under the museum on Main Street. The kids wanted to see where Grandpa Tom had to go to jail one day as a kid. The last time I was there was when Grandpa gave us all a tour several years ago. Well, the museum has changed since then. When you go in the basement where the jail cells are, they have added a hallway that goes behind the cells and opens into another basement room with mining artifacts – it’s very interesting.
Anywho, as I walked through this new hallway leading to the back, there were a couple of signs along the wall with stories of the jail in the early days (see “Jail Tales” photo attached). I started reading the first story and laughed at how familiar it was to Dad’s story as a boy – then I read who the quote was from (see “Curfew” photo attached) – “Tommy Neel”. Grandpa Tom is quoted on this sign and this is his story. Has anyone seen this before? I told the people at the museum that it was my dad, but I didn’t ask where or when they got that quote. I now have some detective work to do to find out how they got this quote.
So, Tommy Neel is known throughout the world as a “1930’s curfew violator” (there are worse things to be known for). Maybe that is why he gave his birth name instead of the Slade name – hah.
Love ya’ll,
Paul
Jail Tales
Curfew
In the Cell



3 comments:
Thanks for posting, Beth. I've been telling my kids this story, but hadn't gotten around to forwarding the email to them, so this works!
I love this! I took my kids there just a few months ago, but didn't notice the quote. Guess I should pay better attention when I'm out museuming!
Very cool museum. We go every year on the free day!
For those of you grands and greats
who may not know who Tommy Neel is,
that's your grandpa!
Post a Comment