Sunday, May 09, 2010

My Mom is Awesome


Her name is Verdis Annette Howard Slade. How can you not be awesome with a name like that? I guess she didn't think her names were so awesome when she was young, so she went by Toni. All my cousins call her Aunt Toni, and I love that. She birthed six children and has 26 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren. She raised us all to love the Lord. She sews, she cooks, she cleans, and she serves. She's a talented artist and poet, and she's also very humble about her talents. She's intelligent and wise and leads by example. I love her so much.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom! Thank you for being the perfect role model and for always loving me. You are beautiful!

8 comments:

Jayne said...

I love that photo, Beth! I've never seen it before. You're a beautiful woman, Gr Nette!

And sorry Jonah kept calling you Grandma Gwen yesterday. He means well:)

Happy Mothers Day!!

Gr. Nette said...

Beth, you silly little girl. What a funny surprise you pulled. You exaggerated a bit with the "perfect" thing though. Maybe by the time the sixth child came along I was starting to learn how to rear kids, 'cause you turned out great! But then, I didn't rear you, your big sisters did. (lets see....did the brothers help?)
p.s. Toni was short for Antoinette, which was the name my neighbor (Nyla's father) called me all my younger years. Then when I sang duets with my friend in Jr. High (western style) we called ourselves "Toni & Tex." (Betcha didn't know all that, and betcha didn't want to know all that!

Luv ya anyway, Mom & Gr

(doesn't matter what Jonah calls me, he's so adorable. That's okay, I kept calling Claire Marie a "he")

hehe

molano said...

Beth! That was so awesome you did that! I love you, Mom and miss you all the time. I hope you had a great day. You are so beautiful in every way!
ps. I tried to call you but you were a busy gal yesterday! Love you!

Just Jenne said...

I miss you Mom! I was a good chat we had--and I was glad you were home, but hope your throat is getting better! I miss your beautiful piano playing--can't remember the one you always used to play--but your fingers just ran all over the keyboard and we would get so excited when we were little whenever you sat down to play it. Mel, Jo and I would start running around dancing like we were just beautiful little fairies. Those were the days!

My goal is to become like you someday!

Gr. Nette said...

Jen, you're sillier than your little sister.
That song is "Rustle of Spring,"
the only one I ever memorized...well, except for Chopsticks. sad, huh.

Jayne said...

Rustle of Spring? Who is the composer?

Gr. Nette said...

Rustle of Spring, Op. 32, no. 3 or
Fruhlingsrauchen, by
Christian Sinding (1856-1941)
You think I knew all this? no way,
I googled it. It was in a book of classical piano pieces that I grew up with, but think Darlene ended up possessing it. So I don't have a copy now. It looks more difficult that it really is.
But my version didn't have 5 flats
like the one showing on "Sheet Music Plus." love, gr

Just Jenne said...

Okay, someone's got to find that music for Gr. Nette! I know--Cami, you learn it. While you're in Italy. :)