Hi all you wonderful, happy, normal family members!! : )
I enjoy reading all the posts. I don't really have any fun photos or anything. But I did just spend several days in a psychiatric hospital because I was severely depressed, and it kept getting worse 'till I couldn't function any more. It's hard when my brain gets in my way...
Anyway, although I am "discharged" from the hospital, I wish I could have stayed longer. I wasn't feeling well for so long, and being there was actually very helpful and a much needed relief from my hardships mentally. There were nice beds to sleep in, other kind patients who were battling and trying to get well from their own severe depressions, etc..., and many amazing doctors and counselors. I felt so safe there. They had a very strict schedule (like getting blood drawn at 4:30 A.M., then blood pressure taken, and making sure you take your scheduled medications.) They had group seminars all day between meals and person time/visiting hours. There are a lot of interesting stories I could tell about the experience. But I am sure this is enough info to make you wonder what a weirdo I must be! (chuckle)
To set the record straight about the stigmas and field of Psychiatry...there are many smart, good people who suffer greatly from mental illness. I met many of them and realized I was not alone. And...in-patient psychiatric hospitals have really good food! I'm serious!! Plus all the nurses and doctors are so compassionate and give very special individualized care. I had fun with the other patients. We all hung out in our hospital pajamas in the evening, shared our stories, ate pudding and watched American Idol...'till our 9:30 curfew where we were scheduled to go to bed. I loved the structure of it all, and wish I could go back for a while...So, do you all still love me, even if I'm nuts??
Perros April 18, 2016
10 years ago
6 comments:
Of course, we love you! I'm glad you were able to get a break. Think of all that's good in your life and know that the Lord loves you too.
Love
Aunt Jo
Hey, could you reserve a spot for me?!! It sounds wonderful. Sara, you're not alone---we all suffer to some degree and at different times in our lives. I think my worst time was after my babies were born, especially my first. And I didn't understand why I kept crying! So, hang in there---just know we all love you and your crazy wonderful open self, and we'll keep you in our prayers. I'm so glad you realized you needed it! Most of us just try to shove it down inside and ignore it---so you are way ahead of the game. :)
Love,
Auntie Jen
By the way, would you consider our last post "normal"?!!
last post, not too normal :) it must be very cold and nothing to do?
Sara's very brave. I think she has a great mission here on Earth to help others.....
I agree with all the wise Aunts above. I think that admitting yourself to the hospital was the wisest thing you could have done - and something that most people wouldn't have the courage to do. I think it's definitely something that we all experience to different degrees, and you should never feel 'crazy'.
Sara, let's just be honest here - I WORSHIPED you when I was little, and I still look up to you and love you now.
Isn't it wonderful that we have a family that we're comfortable sharing these things with? It's such perfect evidence of our Heavenly Father's love for us - that he didn't send us to earth to work out our salvation on our own. We have a family to help us along and to learn from and lean on.
I love you Sara:)
Gr/Gr: physical, mental, we all have our challenges. I was telling my roommate, Grumpa, yesterday....I can't imagine how he has been able to go through all his surgeries. I have only had one and haven't gotten over it yet.
And like you, Sara, I enjoyed the time in the hospital (only one day and night). McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden has what they call "Room Service." They bring you a menu, you choose what you want to eat (my choice was salmon) and you order on the phone and they bring it up to you, the patient. Wow.
WE LOVE YOU, SARA!
(posted by Gr)
Post a Comment